Friday, November 20, 2020

My Minky Blanket designs

 In my last couple of posts I've mentioned making minky blankets for the Hooper Holiday Boutique, and I'm sure people wonder why are minky blankets so expensive.


Well let me tell you the biggest reason: The fabric is so PRICY!

 About 17 years ago I was working at a fabric shop and I remember minky fabric being a brand new thing. I was a poor college student and fell in love with the soft fabric but boy oh boy it was about $15-$20/yard. I sure didn't have that kind of money. AND that was not the fur fabric that you find today, that was just the stuff that a person would use for the front design. There wasn't the variety of colors and designs either. 


Anyway I totally missed the boat on that one.... If I had figured out how to make minky blankets and sell them online I could have made my mark on the minky blanket industry years ago.πŸŽ‰


The next reason these blankets are so costly is that when you purchase a blanket from a retailer you are helping pay for the overhead costs such as:  rental space for the retail store, the cost the manufacturer pays their seamstresses, and all other items to create a quality product. And Yes these blankets are quality, I truly know when you pay over $100 for the name brand minky blankets there is some serious quality control going on. 


A couple years ago I started working as a seamstress for one of the minky companies in my local area, and each week I wanted to quit! That is until I really figured out the learning curve. Sewing with this fabric is so tough, and the fur gets everywhere! I did eventually quit because the company was closing the office I reported to. Yet, I still love what I do! I love making minky blankets!




Now, when you purchase a blanket from me you don't pay those retail prices!!! Each blanket is a creation of my own imagination, and my own time and energy. I personally love each blanket I make, and have a hard time parting with them. I also have to love the fabric I purchase in order to spend the money on it in the first place.  Also because of my experience sewing as an independent seamstress I offer the same quality of product you will find at those major retailers. 



When I create products to sell I make sure they are the same quality that I desire from any major retailer. 

Happy crafting everyone!

Kristin πŸ’–


To see my latest creations :

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

My Minky Blanket designs

 In my last couple of posts I've mentioned making minky blankets for the Hooper Holiday Boutique, and I'm sure people wonder why are...